The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society is a Nisga’a post-secondary educational institution whose mission is to assure that Nisga’a adults have equitable access to quality learning in the community where they live and work.
- The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society recognizes Ayuukhl Nisga’a* and that this core of Nisga’a wisdom is in the minds and lives of Nisga’a elders. The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society is committed to build an institution on the foundation of Nisga’a wisdom and expertise selecting a majority of its’ faculty from members of the Nisga’a Nation.
- The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society, under Nisga’a Government jurisdiction, will be responsible for the provision and coordination of all adult learning programs within the Nisga’a Nation.
- The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society will establish protocol and articulation agreements with other post-secondary institutions encompassing joint certification of diplomas, recognition of Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society certified programs, joint delivery of degrees, cross appointments to faculties, and a creative postgraduate research program.
- The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society will formalize relationships with all Nisga’a institutions to facilitate adult learning programs.
- The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Society, an incorporated educational institution, is planning the establishment of learning centres in each of the four Nass Valley communities. It also envisages a campus apart from the villages to house its’ graduate research department.
*The Ayuukhl Nisga’a is the traditional laws and practices of the Nisga’a Nation
“Only by learning to share did the Nisga’a people flourish in our rugged and isolated corner of British Columbia. Today, we are forging full partnerships with other educational institutions in order to provide top quality, culturally appropriate post secondary education to everyone who lives here in the Nass River Valley. Increasingly, we welcome students from other parts of the world as well.”
The late Dr. Jacob McKay